You are on page 1of 8
August 4, 2002 Remembering 150 Years ... 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 Our stories. Our
August 4, 2002 Remembering 150 Years ... 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 Our stories. Our
August 4, 2002
Remembering 150 Years ...
1852
St. Francis Xavier Parish
2002
Our
stories.
Our
people.
Our
history.

Train Wreck in Almonte Kills 39: Up To 140 Injured

At 8:30 on the evening of Sunday, December 27, 1942, a troop train carrying soldiers from Alberta smashed into the back of the Pembroke - Ottawa local jammed with holiday travellers returning to Ottawa after spending Christmas with their families. The local train, delayed because of the volume of traffic and an hour behind schedule, was taking on passengers at the Almonte Station when struck by the troop express in the middle of a heavy snowstorm. Of the dead, many were from Renfrew, including six members of the St. Francis Xavier Faith Community. On December 31, a funeral Mass was held for Miss Marie Green, Miss Mary Kelly, Pte. Michael Laplaunt, Pte. Stanley O’Link, Mr. Emerson Roach, and Miss Dallas Sullivan. His Excellency Bishop Nelligan was to have celebrated Pontifical Requiem Mass but was delayed by a blizzard as he journeyed from Ottawa. He arrived in time to deliver a sermon to the congregation and offer his sincere sympathy to relatives and friends of the deceased. The Mass was chanted by Flight Lieutenant M.J. Wingle and assisted by Rev. M.J. Hass and Rev. J.J. Lynch. Also present was the St. Francis Xavier Pastor, the Rt. Rev. W. Dooner, Rev. T.P. Wingle, and Rev. J. Kelly.

August 4, 2002 Remembering 150 Years ... 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 Our stories. Our

“What in the hell happened?” asked the soldier as he emerged from the haze of semi-consciousness. Nearby, in the snow, sat a young woman. A stranger to the soldier, she appeared oblivious to her injuries as she surveyed the carnage around her. “I don’t know” she replied at last. “But whatever it is, it’s something terrible.”

Grade 7: 1924-25 Pictured above is a group of Grade Seven students from St. Francis Xavier

Grade 7: 1924-25

Pictured above is a group of Grade Seven students from St. Francis Xavier School. In the back row are Merle Goulet, Shirley Gilles, Gertrude Klaman, Eva Letang, Christina Kuretski, Helen Green, Annie Bowers, Hannah O’Brien, Kaye Zyvitski, and Mary McKean. In the third row are Edmund Ritza, Charles Dupuis, Paul Zyvitski, Edmund Levesque, Steve Lemenchick, Sylvester Hunt, Angus Brennan, John J. O’Shea, and Garfield Miller. Making up the second row is Mona Lemenchick, Isabel Preen, Bridget Kenopic, Marie McGee, Ada Hunt, Grace Burns, Evelyn Bates, Mona Leskie, and June Lindsay. In the front row are Oral Desjardins, Pat Villemere, Mark Lynch, Bernard Wadsworth, Bernard Ritza, and Austin Morris.

Grade 7: 1924-25 Pictured above is a group of Grade Seven students from St. Francis Xavier

Father Michael James Ryan was born May 10, 1928 in Renfrew, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Patrick Ryan. He was raised and educated in Renfrew before moving on to studies at St. Patrick’s College in Ottawa. Entering the Oblates, he continued his studies at Holy Rosary Scholasticate in Orleans in 1951. Ordained on June 9, 1956 in Ottawa, Father Ryan celebrated his first Mass at St. Francis Xavier in June of 1956. Father Jim taught at St. Patrick’s College and later served as Bursar of St. Peter’s Oblate Province for over ten years. He returned frequently to assist at St. Francis Xavier, particularly at Christmas and Easter. Father Ryan died suddenly of a heart attack on February 18, 1979 while cross- country skiing. His Funeral Liturgy was celebrated at Canadian Martyrs Church in Ottawa while a Memorial Mass was celebrated at St. Francis Xavier in May of 1979. Michael James Ryan is survived by siblings Joseph, Father Bill Ryan, S.J., Theresa Moore, and Helen Hanniman. Deceased siblings are Bernadette, Eileen, Catherine, and Robert.

August 11, 2002 Remembering 150 Years ... 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 Our stories. Taken
August 11, 2002 Remembering 150 Years ... 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 Our stories. Taken
August 11, 2002
Remembering 150 Years ...
1852
St. Francis Xavier Parish
2002
Our
stories.
Taken in 1951, the photograph below shows the cast
of an Irish play. From left to right are director Phil
Bolger, Pat Bolger, Dorothy Gagne, Ray Litkey, Joe
Murphy, Hubert Vice, Joan Pecore, Tom Bolger,
Joan Gray, C.J. Shannon, dancers Jerry Cloutier,
Wayne Moran and Mary Moran, and Eulalia Rice,
Irene Hanniman, Pat Clemen and Bill Freamo.
Our
people.
Our
history.

Parents Foundation Continues With Fundraising Support For S.J.H.S.

In this 1981 photo, Nancy Bailey and Joe Plasczek discuss plans for the upcoming Lottery ‘81. This fundraising event was sponsored by the Parents

Foundation of

St.

Joseph’s High School.

August 11, 2002 Remembering 150 Years ... 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 Our stories. Taken
Pictures of the first stone church, built in 1873-74, show a pulpit of stately appearance with

Pictures of the first stone church, built in 1873-74, show a pulpit of stately appearance with a carroussel roof topped with a cross. It was located in the seating area and erected high on the first pillar of the left side. It could be reached by using a winding staircase.

When the church was renovated in 1919-20, a new pulpit was installed in the Sanctuary floor. It was sunk into the floor and operated upwards and downwards by cog wheels driven by a motor. Before the homily, the sexton ( for many years a gentleman named Leo Gareau ) would lift back the trap doors, press a switch and set the pulpit into motion. As the pulpit moved upwards into position the cog wheels could be heard creaking away until the complete elevation was attained. As the pulpit would now be standing high up on a pedestal, a portable ladder was then unfolded so that the priest could mount the steps into the pulpit. When lowered back into the floor at the conclusion of the sermon, the pulpit would remain, essentially, in the church basement until called upon again.

By the mid-1940's, Father Sloan likely grew tired of creaking cog wheels, trap doors, and portable ladders. He decided instead to mount the entire pulpit on the first pillar to the right, taking it from the Sanctuary and returning it to the seating area. Here it would remain until destroyed by the fire of 1964.

Pictures of the first stone church, built in 1873-74, show a pulpit of stately appearance with
August 18, 2002 Remembering 150 Years .. . 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 In this

August 18, 2002

Remembering 150 Years ...

August 18, 2002 Remembering 150 Years .. . 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 In this
  • 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish

2002

August 18, 2002 Remembering 150 Years .. . 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 In this
In this photograph, Sister Claire Gallagher accepts a bouquet of roses from St. Joseph’s High School
In this photograph, Sister Claire Gallagher
accepts a bouquet of roses from St. Joseph’s
High School head girl Ann Walters and Peter
Skebo. The flowers were accepted on behalf
of the Sisters of St. Joseph and were
presented as a symbol of appreciation for all
that the Sisters had done for the local Catholic
high school.

Our

August 18, 2002 Remembering 150 Years .. . 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 In this

stories.

Our

people.

Our

history.

August 18, 2002 Remembering 150 Years .. . 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 In this
August 18, 2002 Remembering 150 Years .. . 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 In this
August 18, 2002 Remembering 150 Years .. . 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 In this

P March 1922: Frequenting public dance halls is not to be commended at any time but more especially during the Holy Season of Lent.

P January 27, 1935: Dancing is to be frowned upon as it is a grave matter. ( In a letter from the Bishop )

August 18, 2002 Remembering 150 Years .. . 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 In this

From The Announcement Book ...

More than half the families in the parish have no pew and pay no pew rent. Next

Sunday an extra collection will be taken up after Communion at the 8:00 and 9:15 AM Masses. Each one is expected to contribute 10¢ a sitting. Those who cannot afford this will have seats just the same without charge so that this will not be an excuse for standing or of missing Mass.”

May 21, 1922

Members of the staff of St. Francis Xavier School gather for a Christmas party picture in

Members of the staff of St. Francis Xavier School gather for a Christmas party picture in 1955. In front are Mrs. Green, Mrs. Lila Prince, Mr. G. Barry, Lucy Lepack, Mr. Green and daughter Rosemary, Mrs. Sheahan, Mrs. L. Bolger, and Mrs. McAdam. In the back row are Sister St. Gemma, Sister Catherine, Sister Francis Ann, Grace Lunney, Sister Vivian, Sister Enda, Sister Miriam-Hilda, Sister Patricia Jean, Sister Columban, Sister James, and Sister Leonard-Joseph.

P The first organ is not recorded as being purchased, unless it was recorded in French and missed during research. Our first parish priest, Father Bouvier, was French and made his register entries in that language, as did Father Rougier. As well, it is quite possible this first organ was donated.

Members of the staff of St. Francis Xavier School gather for a Christmas party picture in

Sister St. James and the Fifth Organ

P The second organ was purchased September 25, 1881 for $70.00 with the trade-in of the first organ. Pipers had to be trained.

P The third organ was purchased in 1896 for $268.52 plus $$2.23 freight. An organ blower was required.

P The fourth organ was purchased September 3,

  • 1910. The retail price of $450.00 was reduced to

$200.00 as $250.00 was allowed for the trade of the

old one. A pumper was required for this organ.

P The fifth organ, obtained April 16, 1927, was a pipe organ from Cosonant Bros., purchase price $8015.00. As no other organ purchases are recorded after this, it follows that this would be the organ destroyed in the church fire of 1964. A foot pump organ was used in the vestry after the fire but there is little information about its origins or where it might have ended up.

P The sixth organ is the one currently in use at St. Francis Xavier Church. It is a transistorized electronic organ made by Allen.

August 25, 2002 Remembering 150 Years .. . 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 Our stories.

August 25, 2002

Remembering 150 Years ...

August 25, 2002 Remembering 150 Years .. . 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 Our stories.
  • 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish

2002

August 25, 2002 Remembering 150 Years .. . 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 Our stories.

Our

August 25, 2002 Remembering 150 Years .. . 1852 St. Francis Xavier Parish 2002 Our stories.

stories.

Our

people.

Our

history.

Inter-Faith Clergy Night: 1973 P.J. Howard, Father Flynn, Father McNamara and Father Harrington involve themselves in
Inter-Faith Clergy Night: 1973
P.J. Howard, Father Flynn, Father McNamara
and Father Harrington involve themselves in
heavy discussion during an informal inter-faith
clergy night in May of 1973. Seated in the
background is SFX parishioner Bill Keon.
As it appeared in the bulletin of February 10, 1924.
“Next Thursday, February 14th at
10:30 a.m., a Pontifical High Mass
will be sung by Rt. Rev. Bishop
Ryan, after which will take place the
solemn investiture of Father French
and then will be made the address
and presentation made. A number of
front pews will be reserved on both
sides of the centre aisle for clergy,
military officers, and visitors.”
Rev. Brady McNamara talks with
Rev. Harrington of Calabogie in
this 1973 picture. Father
McNamara would serve as
Pastor of St. Francis Xavier
Church from 1998 to 2000.
The Renfrew Community Concerts Association prepares for their one-week campaign of 1971. Pictured above are, from

The Renfrew Community Concerts Association prepares for their one-week campaign of 1971. Pictured above are, from left to right, Herb Rusheleau, Publicity Chairman; Msgr. S.P. Owens, President; Mrs. Bernard English, Captain; Marjorie Lindsay, Campaign Secretary; Mrs. D.W. Stewart, Membership Chairperson; Ken Cochrane, Co-Chairman of Membership; and Gertrude Silver, Community Concert Representative.

The Renfrew Community Concerts Association prepares for their one-week campaign of 1971. Pictured above are, from

P Building permits for November of 1965 were $239,800 with St. Francis Xavier Church the largest at $194,000.

The Renfrew Community Concerts Association prepares for their one-week campaign of 1971. Pictured above are, from

As it appeared in the bulletin of July 13, 1930.

Your prayers are requested for the repose of the Soul of Rev. Father Reynolds formerly curate of this parish and late Pastor of Killaloe Parish, funeral tomorrow in Killaloe at 9 a.m.

(note: Father Reynolds was an uncle of Father J. Quinn)

The Renfrew Community Concerts Association prepares for their one-week campaign of 1971. Pictured above are, from

This July 1958 photograph shows some of the campers attending that summer’s Girl’s Camp held at the St. Francis Xavier Youth Camp at Lake Clear.

The Renfrew Community Concerts Association prepares for their one-week campaign of 1971. Pictured above are, from