You are on page 1of 5

Submitted by: Evangelista, Tristan Nicole B.

BSMT1B
Submitted to: Maam Bessie L. Cruz

CENTRO
ESCOLAR

B R I E F

S U M M A R Y

Librada Avelino and Carmen de Luna founded


the Centro Escolar de Seoritas on June 3, 1907,
inspired by the patriotic movement to
nationalize schools on cognizant of a need for an adequate center of learning for
Filipino women steeped in teachings on ideal womanhood, intelligent citizenry and
democratic leadership which would instill in them the tenet of science of virtue.
The first Board of Directors was composed of Librada Avelino, directress;
Carmen de Luna, assistant directress; Maria Francisco de Villaceran, secretary;
Felisa Francisco, treasurer; Margarita Oliva, administratix; and Atty. Fernando Salas,
board member.
The Colegio was located in a modest house on Calzada de Iris (later named
Paseo de Azcarraga and now Claro M. Recto Avenue), Number 2265, ending on Alix
(now Legarda Street).
Librada Avelino chose Ciencia y Virtud (Knowledge and Virtue) as the motto
of the school. This means that the institution was dedicated to the pursuit of
knowledge and inculcation of moral excellence in its students. The official color of
the school was pink and it was also the color of the uniform of its students.
The early prospectus, with pink paper cover, was written in the Spanish
language. Both English and Spanish were the official languages of the school.
Courses in English language were included in the same status as courses in
Christian moral and good manners.
The first programs of instruction in the curriculum were kindergarten,
elementary, general secondary, music and home arts courses. In compliance to Act
No. 74 of the Philippine Commision, English was the medium of instruction, while at
the same time, the Spanish language consistently received special attention.
On June 10, 1910, a two-year high school commercial course was opened in
response to the need for practical knowledge in business and merchandising. A
three-year domestic science course was introduced in 1917. Not long afterwards,
the government upgraded these studies as those of the regular general high school
and sought their compliance with the same academic requirements.
A great stride in educating the Filipino women was undertaken in June 1912
when the College of Pharmacy was established. The opening of the Collge of Liberal
Arts in 1924 followed, so was the birth of the College of Education which operated
with three departments --- Normal, Education, and Home Economics. The College of
Dentistry was opened in 1925.
1 | Page

B R I E F

S U M M A R Y

Centro Escolar de Seoritas was among the first to recognize the need for
more well-trained teachers in colleges and universities through post-graduate
education. To meet the demand, the school opened the Graduate School in 1926,
offering programs leading to masters and doctoral degrees. In the latters effect,
Centro Escolar University was acknowledged the first non-sectarian university to
offer programs in the doctoral level.
In 1928, the College of Commerce and Business Administration was
established. That same year, the school founded the first College of Optometry in
the Philippines. Another department, the Conservatory of Music, was established
during the administration of the founder, Librada Avelino.
It was in 1930 when Centro Escolar de Seoritas assumed the name Centro
Escolar University and gained the University status in 1932. To cope with the
difficulties of the times and the need to expand the school, the University was
reorganized and incorporated in 1934 with Librada Avelino, popularly called
Maestra Ada as the first University President.
Carmen de Luna succeeded as the second University President after the
death of Librada Avelino on November 9, 1934. In 1945, Centro Escolar University
opened its portals to male students.
While Social Work courses had been offered in the College of Education for
more than a decade since 1935, it was no until 1948 when the College of Social
Work was formally opened. In 1954, a branch was established in Tambo, Paraaque,
then still a part of Rizal province.
In response to the need for trained nutritionists, the University opened the
College of Foods and Nutrition in 1958. Other post-war needs prompted the
establishment of the College of Medical Technology in 1960.
The term of the third president, Dr. Pilar Hidalgo Lim (1963-1973), was the
beginning of the CEUs expansion in enrolment and physical facilities. It was in 1963
when the College of Chemistry was established.
Expansion and development was continued by the fourth president, Dr.
Dionisio C. Tiongco (1973-1992) under whose term the College of Nursing was
opened in 1975.
Centro Escolar University expanded its campuses to serve the needs of the
students and to comply with the urban decongestion policy of the country.
The birth of CEU Malolos came at a time when the national government was
making educational opportunities available outside the heavily congested Metro
Manila area. CEU Malolos at Km. 44 McArthur Highway, Malolos, Bulacan was
established as the Universitys expansion site in June 1978.
2 | Page

B R I E F

S U M M A R Y

CEUs commitment to academic excellence led to the accreditation of its


colleges programs by the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities
Commission on Accreditation (PACUCOA) and the Philippine Accrediting Association
of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU), which later gained for the
University the distinction as the University with the highest number of accredited
courses among private higher education institutions in the country.
Dr. Lourdes Talag-Echauz (1992-2002) succeeded the presidency of Centro
Escolar University and formally installed as CEUs fifth president on March 5, 1993.
Serving as the link between the valued traditions of the past and the innovations of
the future, Dr, Echauz, a true Escolarina, followed the footsteps of her mentors
Librada Avelino and Carmen de Luna, in molding young men and women into worthy
and competent citizens.
During her administration, CEU grew and continued to keep abreast with
innovation and technology, upgraded facilities, and highly trained manpower. Over
the years, with the excellent performance of its graduates in professional licensure
examinations, CEU continued to produce many of the countrys leaders in various
professions.
On January 17, 2002, Centro Escolar University celebrated the installation of
its sixth president, Dr. Rosita L. Navarro (2002-2006). Dr. Navarro was a catalyst for
progressive initiative and an advocate of the balance between globalization and
Filipinization. She steered the institution to greater heights in academic excellence
and educational service to the Filipino people.
Under her leadership, the University was granted full autonomy by the
Commission on Higher Education and was awarded a certification by the Societe
Generale de Surveillance International (SGS) for compliance with the requirements
of ISO 9001-2000. ITS Information Communication Technology (ICT) Department
came into full operation, Wi-fi zones were set-up and the library services were
automated.
Capping these achievements was the conferment to CEU of the Philippine
Quality Award (PQA) for proficiency in quality management by the Department of
Trade and Industry, Republic of the Philippines.
Two years before CEUs centennial celebration, on March 22, 2005, the
community witnessed the birth of CEU Makati, Gil Puyat Campus. The academic
offerings included degree programs that responded to the global market particularly
Hotel and Restaurant Management, Tourism Management, Information Technology,
Computer Science, Business Administration, Mass Communication major in
Broadcasting, Master of Business Administration and first-class health science
programs in for which CEU has always been known such as Doctor of Dental
Medicine, Medical Technology, Nursing, Pharmacy, Doctor of Pharmacy, and
Psychology.
3 | Page

B R I E F

S U M M A R Y

Dr. Ma. Cristina D. Padolina became the seventh CEU President in August
2006. As CEU Centennial President, she brought to her post an impressive
international educational background with sterling and extensive leadership and
management experience in academe and government, a wisdom she gathered over
the years after having been the Open University (UPOU) Chancellor of the University
of the Philippines and a Commissioner of the Commission on Higher Education of
the Republic of the Philippines.
She spearheaded the opening of the second campus of Centro Escolar
University Makati-Legazpi Village in 2007, the College of Law and Jurisprudence in
2009 and the establishment of a program on Professional and Continuing Education
(PACE) to address the clamor and the neef for lifelong learning in the light of
continuing scientific and technological innovations and change. In September 2012,
the CEU Cebu campus started to offer PACE programs.
Massive curricular reforms were done and new programs were introduced,
like: BS Legal Management, MS in Health Services, MS major in Total Quality
Management, and Ph.D. in Higher Education Management. In 2013, guided by Dr.
Padolinas leadership and inspiration, CEU was inspired as the University with the
most number of Level IV accredited programs.
She believes that CEU, with its dedicated and highly qualifies administrator,
faculty and staff and its strong adherence to quality service, is primed to achieve a
new level of excellence in higher education, thus, she initiated the Quality People,
Quality University Program that focuses on total human development of every
Escolarian educator, administrator, and non-teaching staff.
The prominence that Centro Escolar University has attained since the
pioneering efforts of its founders, Librada Avelino and Carmen de Luna, has not
gone unnoticed in the academic community. It is the sum of its series of
achievements for the past 107 years. Ever the educational center of worthy
accomplishments, the name of Centro Escolar University today is a University of
first choice, an institution of higher learning that fosters excellence in all its
endeavors guided by its philosophy Cienca y Virtud.

4 | Page

5 | Page