You are on page 1of 5

Last updated: 3 Jan 2012 Brief History of Marlow Sea Cadets Marlow Unit was formed as TS Snipe in 1956,

first parading around St Georges Day (23 April) that year. St Georges Day has since been adopted as the Units Official Birthday and a Mess Dinner is held each year to celebrate. The Unit was initially housed at Holy Trinity Church of England School in Wethered Road and the Guest of Honour for the commissioning ceremony was Admiral Scoffield. The Unit was named after HMS Snipe a modified Black Swan Class Sloop that was built during World War 2 but was completed following the end of the war in 1946. Unfortunately the ship was decommissioned soon after the Unit was formed in 1960. After a short time the Unit moved to the band hall on its current site, next to what is now Trinity Court. At this time however the whole area from the end of Wethered Road to where the Unit stands now (along with a lot more of Marlow) was owned by a local businessman who had served with the Royal Navy during World War 2, Commander Owen Wethered RN. The Unit was then an old Nissen Hut which at that time was being used exclusively by the Marlow Town Band. Commander Wethered facilitated the transfer of the deeds from the Band to the Sea Cadets on 10 October 1960 with the agreement that the Band would be allowed continued access to the hut. The image below shows the Units float taking part in the Marlow Carnival in 1964.

In 1972 the decision was made to change the name of the Unit to TS Apollo and with it came an affiliation to the newly commissioned Leander Class Frigate HMS Apollo (F70). This affiliation was confirmed on 2 August 1972. This ship is still in service now, although not with the Royal Navy, having been sold in 1988 to the Pakistani Navy and been

Last updated: 3 Jan 2012 renamed PNS Zulfiquar. The image below shows a number of cadets and an instructor using the ASC for boating. The instructor in the photo is Chief Petty Officer Ron Anson who was also a Special Constable in the town.

By 1981 it was clear that the Nissen Hut, which had housed the cadets for two decades, was no longer a good enough facility to sustain the Unit. As a result, the decision was made to build a brand new Unit on the same grounds. Having raised 32,000 for the purchase of a new building, the Nissen Hut was closed down, the last event being a dance in April 1983. Over the next few years the new Unit was built with help from the cadets and members of staff. On 19 April 1988 the new building was opened by the Captain of the Sea Cadet Corps, Captain A. E. Thompson RN. In 1989 the Unit made its first attempt to start up a band led by Lieutenant (SCC) Robert Crook RNR. However this attempt was unfortunately unsuccessful and the band folded quite quickly, with only individual training taking place following this. More successfully, 1989 saw the formation of a Girls Nautical Training Corps (GNTC) in the Unit, allowing girls to participate in cadet activities for the first time. In 1992, in Marlow and across the

Last updated: 3 Jan 2012 entire country, the Girls Nautical Training Corps was absorbed into the Sea Cadet Corps. In 1992 the Unit formed a Junior Cadet Section under the leadership of Lt Crook. The provision for cadets between the ages of 10 and 12 had only been introduced earlier the same year and Marlow Unit was very quick to take of advantage of this excellent feeder group for the main cadets. It was correct to do so with many long serving cadets and a number of staff having first been Junior Cadets. On 23 April 1993, the same day as the annual presentation evening and the 36th anniversary of the Unit first opening, the Unit held a drumhead ceremony in which it received a Colour. This was a great honour, recognising the burgee efficiency standard achieved by the Unit. 1993 also saw the affiliation of the Unit with the Invincible Class aircraft carrier, HMS Ark Royal (R07), an affiliation which it continues to this day. In 2006, the Unit once again attempted to form a band with Petty Officer (SCC) Nik Brown taking the lead as Bandmaster. PO Brown had been one of the last cadets who Lt Crook had taught to bugle so it was a fitting tribute to the former Bandmaster, that one of his excadets restarted the band. The band paraded on Thursday nights in addition to the normal parade nights on Tuesday and Friday. 2006, the golden jubilee year for the Unit, was a particularly successful year as it also saw Marlow winning the District Aggregate Trophy (awarded to the best overall Unit in the District competitions) and being awarded its first pennant in seven years.

Last updated: 3 Jan 2012 Efficiency Awards Burgees (5) 1989 1990 1992 1993 1994 Pennants (18) 1967 1972 1973 1983 1984 1987 1988 1991 1995 1996 1998 1999 2006 2007 2008 2009 2011 2012 Girls Nautical Training Corps Awards (2) 1990 1991

Last updated: 3 Jan 2012 Commanding Officers Name (and final rank) Lt (SP) William Best RNVR Lt (SP) Eric G. Page RNVR Lt (SP) Eric Garside DSC RNVR Lt Cdr (SCC) Theodore Lunnon RNR Lt (SCC) F. Smith RNR S Lt (SCC) Nigel S. F. Hillsdon RNR Lt (SCC) V. R. Paddon RNR Lt (SCC) S. R. Sahli RNR S Lt (SCC) W. P. Wall RNR Lt (SCC) George W. Barnshaw RNR Lt (SCC) Paul Compton RNR Lt Cdr (SCC) M. Bruno Davies RNR Lt (SCC) Ronald Hale RNR Lt (SCC) John J. Brown RNR S Lt (SCC) Robert Crook RNR Lt (SCC) N. Paul Knight RNR Lt (SCC) Carol Hale RNR Lt (SCC) Mark Unwin RNR S Lt (SCC) Nicholas M. Jones RNR Date started 1957 1958 1958 1959 1970 1971 1972 1973 1975 1976 1977 1979 1987 1989 1990 1990 2000 2003 2007 Date ended 1957 1958 1958 1969 1970 1971 1972 1974 1975 1976 1979 1987 1989 1990 1990 2000 2003 2006 Present