You are on page 1of 22

After the Spanish American war in 1898 the Americans took over rule of

the Philippines until after the second world war.

Art Nouveau
-international style of art, architecture and applied art, especially the decorative arts,
that was most popular between 1890 and 1910.

-inspired by natural forms and structures, particularly the curved lines of plants and
flowers.

-By 1910, Art Nouveau was already out of style. It was replaced as the
dominant European architectural and decorative style first by Art Deco and
then by Modernism.

Philippines' first civilian Governor-General .In 1902 Judge William Howard Taft was appointed to head the Philippine Commission to evaluate the needs of the new territory.

Daniel Hudson Burnham (September 4. 1846 – June 1. 1912) an American architect and urban designer. He was the Director of Works for the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago. .

• and a number of notable skyscrapers in Chicago.C. Manila and downtown Washington. D.Union Station in Washington D. • the Continental Trust Company Building tower skyscraper in Baltimore (now One South Calvert Building). • including Chicago. • designed several famous buildings. .. including the Flatiron Building of triangular shape in New York City.Burnham took a leading role in the creation of master plans for the development of a number of cities.C.

Mr. Burnham had in mind a long wide. .• In Manila. beginning at a park area dominated by a magnificent hotel. tree-lined boulevard along the bay.

a New York architect. the Manila Hotel Taft hired William E. Parsons. but grander . but comfortable hotel. what is now known as. who envisioned an impressive. along the lines of a California mission.To design.

After the second world war many were rebuilt. Many buildings in Manila were designed by the Filipino architect Juan M. de Guzman Arellano.Many of these buildings were heavily damaged during the Battle of Manila in 1945. .

Arellano Manila's Metropolitan Theater (1935). 1932) the old Jaro Municipal Hall in Iloilo (1934) the Negros Occidental Provincial Capitol (1936). . now houses the National Museum of Fine Arts).Juan Marcos Arellano y de Guzmán (April 25. the Manila Central Post Office Building (1926) the Central Student Church (today known as the Central United Methodist Church. 1888 – December 5. Legislative Building (1926. 1960). the Cebu Provincial Capitol (1937) the Bank of the Philippine Islands Cebu Main Branch (1940) Misamis Occidental Provincial Capitol Building (1935) and the Jones Bridge. or Juan M.

• In 1911 the Army Corps of Engineers constructed the Manila Army and Navy Club at the shore of Manila Bay bordering the Luneta Park. • The building consisits of a Grand entrance and has three stories that housed the various function rooms and the Hotel rooms. . It has been in use far into the eighties however it has fallen into dacay and is in need of restoration.

a Paris-trained American architect commissioned by renowned city planner Daniel Burnham. once the favorite watering hole of colonial-era American officers and servicemen. a coffee shop and a 600-sqm sky bar.4 billion. Philippines – The historic Army and Navy Club. a 300 sqm. . president of Oceanville Hotel and Spa Corp. • Major retrofitting and restoration works in the iconic building are almost complete. is set to reopen by October – this time as a plush five-star hotel and spa. • Once opened to the public. all day dining.. based on the latest update by Cornelio Aldon. the hotel will feature 74 guest rooms each with a unique colonial-era design. spa. the developer-restorer of the Army and Navy Club. • Restored at a cost of P2.• MANILA. the Army and Navy Club was originally designed by William Parsons.

" .At T.M. the "Luneta Hotel. Kalaw Street stands on of the remaining structures that survived the liberation of Manila in 1945 .

• This famous landmark fell gradually into decay. • In 2007 the renovation activities have started and it is hoped that this building will be restored to its old grandeur.• the hotel was designed by the Spanish architect-engineer Salvador Farre. • The structure is the only remaining example of the French Renaissance architecture with Filipino stylized beaux arts in the Philippines to date. .

de Guzman Arellano. During the liberation of Manila by the Americans in 1945. The City of Manila is planning a renovation of this once magnificent building. the theatre was totally destroyed. . and built in 1935. Recently a bus station has been constructed at the back of the theatre. After reconstruction by the Americans it gradually fell into disuse in the 1960’s.The Manila Metropolitan Theatre is an art deco building designed by the Filipino architect Juan M. In the following decade it was meticulously restored but again fell into decay.

The sculptures in the façade of the Theatre are from the Italian sculptor Francesco Riccardo Monti. who lived in Manila from 1930 until his death in 1958. Highly stylized relief carving of Philippine plants executed by the artist Isabelo Tampingco decorate the lobby walls and interior surfaces of the building. de Guzman Arellano.M. and worked closely together with J. .

designed by architect Welton Becket. It has been built in the Philippine Art Deco style. . In addition to the Jai Alai game it included the famous " Sky Lounge". The building is now gone for ever. 2000 on the orders of Mayor Lito Atienza.In 1940 the Jai Alai building was constructed along Taft avenue. Unfortunately. demolition began on July 15.

Jose Rizal • The bronze and granite Rizal monument located in Rizal Park. The monument is located near the very spot where Dr. Manila. Jose Rizal was executed December 30. . has long been considered among the most famous sculptural landmarks in the Philippines. 1896.The National Monument to Dr.

the church is recognized as a National Historical Landmark and a Cultural Treasure by the National Historical Institute and the National Museum respectively. Alfredo Juinio served as the structural engineer for the project. It was designed by the late National Artist for Architecture. The mosaic floor mural called the “River of Life” was designed by Arturo Luz. Other Filipino artists contributed to the design of the interior of the church: Around the Chapel are fifteen large murals painted by Vicente Manansala depicting the Stations of the Cross.The Church of the Holy Sacrifice • Known for its architectural design. . The marble altar and the large wooden cross above it were sculpted by Napoleon Abueva. which was only one of the five national artists who collaborated on the project. Leandro Locsin.

.

. It functions as the center point of the pilgrimages to Antipolo. In 1954 a new church was build designed by the renowned Filipino architect Jose de Ocampo. The old church that housed the virgin was destroyed in February 1945 when the Americans bombed Antipolo as part of the liberation campaign of Manila.Antipolo Church • The image of "Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage" has been venerated in the church of Antipolo for centuries. This church is of a coupular design centered around the image of the Virgin.

Related Interests